Friday, April 11, 2008

SPAM

I’ve had a couple people ask me lately, “What do you do anyway?” They know I’m in marketing, but don’t really get what I do.

Well, in short, I’m a spammer. Glorified spam. My job is pretty broad in scope. Ideally, and in a few instances, I work in all areas of media advertising and planning – direct mail, internet, radio, TV, print, etc. But, for the most part… SPAM, and not the meat. For one of our clients I help place around $4 Million Dollars in internet advertising … a month. The majority is with website’s like “College Bound.com” or the “Monster School Pages” which cater to individuals, usually adult learners, looking to go to or go back to school. Another large part, however, is directed in follow-up efforts to get those people who expressed interest to enroll. One of our clients has a specifically tailored email campaign attack that last 2 years after the person expressed interest and send 1 to 2 emails a month until they enroll or express that they aren’t interested any longer. Each message is carefully crafted to get into the head of a 30 some odd year old who got C’s in high school and is just now deciding to go back.

That’s right, I’m a glorified professional spammer! Though mine is unlike most “Spamming Products” out there, it is a product I actually believe in… an education. So, next time you see a spam come through prompting you to act now for a special offer on “Tennis Shoes of The Nephite’s- The DVD” Because you at one point expressed interest in a weekly newsletter from www.yourLDSneighborhood.com, or the next time you click through your inbox to find an offer for “Free Tampico with the purchase of Tampico” because you once entered a contest online at one time to win “Free Groceries for A year,” Take a moment to appreciate the strategy and masterminds behind this spam and their intent not to fill up your inbox, but to convince you and break you down until you buy their product.

No comments: