Thursday, April 17, 2008

Debunking JAZZ Pessimists Logic… or should I say De-“Dunking?’

Kate and I had a blast at the Jazz Game the other Night and had a huge blast. How lucky am I to have married such a big Jazz fan (Kate- not big as in large, but big as in awesome). We love the Jazz and rarely get to the games. This was our first of the year and, incidentally, the last regular season of game of the year. We sat in the upper bowl with some tickets I had gotten Kate for Valentine’s Day (I know, cheap-O Jordan, but we were getting ready for a baby and broke). The Upper Bowl is always an adventure. You can read about some of the similar adventures we encountered here. For us, there were a lot of crazies, which equals a lot of fun.

We love the Jazz and hold up hope for the future, unlike some others.


The Court from my crappy cell phone camera.

Here are some reasons that some Jazz fans are giving for their losing early and my rebuttal.

1. Memo has no money in the playoffs- Memo has been great in the last 10 games because he’s taking it to the hole, unlike last year when he just sat at the arc. I assume he will continue to do this, and thus be much more consistent than last year. Last year, when his shot was off, he was a waste offensively.

2. Boozer can’t Defend- I agree with this notion. However, if the Jazz were to match up with the Spurs in round two, it would most likely be Memo guarding Duncan. We all remember what Memo did to Yao last year. Defensively he gave him fits. Boozer actually matches up pretty well against Staudemire if you look at their head-to-head and body time. They would neutralize each other.

3. The Jazz are horrible on the road- As of late the Jazz seem to get up for the big games on the road. Through January 17th they were a wretched 0-6 on the road against Western Conference Playoff Teams. Since then, they have gone a not too shabby 5-3. This could be attributed to many factors, however the number one reason in my mind was acquiring a shooter in Kyle Korver. Korver was traded at the end of December to the Jazz and was an immediate force. Only one of the 0-6 losses happened while Korver was with the Jazz.

4. Kirilenko is too much of a wild card- This has been construed as a negative. However, I believe that this year this is a positive for the Jazz. They can never plan on him showing up, and plan on winning without him, but when he does, boy does it help. Kirilenko also has a history of playing extremely well defensively in the playoffs.

5. Deron Williams bruised butt- The Jazz will make it past Houston in the first round, and, how long does it take for a bruised butt to heal? I mean really? He should be ready for whatever team they meet in the second round. Also, Deron Williams seems to play better with a chip on his shoulder, and if people are saying he’s hurt and won’t play 110%, he’ll play 120%.

6. The JAZZ are the Cubs of BBall- The Cubs have won 2 World Series, in 1908 and 1909. The Jazz number of Championships- 0. The Jazz are due.

I am NOT predicting the Jazz win the Championship. I am only suggesting that they are a better team than last year, and a better team than many give them credit. I fully anticipate they compete against whomever they meet in the second round, whether it be the Spurs or Suns. I look forward for our “Drive for the Title.” Show me the Title Baby!


Grandma Ammon Babysat Baby Madeline on our night out.

A cool car we saw in front of that expensive steak house at the Gateway, Fleming's. There were a lot of nice cars out front. Upwards to $50 for a steak!


Us in the Upper-Bowl. Don't I look 10!

Us watching the game.

4 comments:

Ike said...

Hey FYI they'll meet the Lakers in the 2nd round. I screwed up and changed my post later.

Cheeseboy said...

I don't really know how far they will get. I'd guess they lose in the 2nd round, but I am ready for the ride!

Jana Banana said...

Glad you guys got a night out by yourselves :) Looks like fun!

Megan said...

Jordan, I was going to vote on your Ute football poll but "Utes will win against everybody but BYU" wasn't a choice. Anyway, that's my vote. I gotta be true to my roots, but I can't help enjoying the U. I really can't help it. But I'll always love the Cougs just a bit more.