
Has anyone tried the Lime or Cherry Ricky’s at Arctic Circle recently? What is the deal? I recall the days of Cherry Ricky’s being a heavenly mixture of 7up and artificial cherry flavoring in a cup filled to the brim with the Famous Crushed Ice. The other day, while frequenting the local Arctic Circle, I was greeted by a cup half full of cubed ice, with Sierra Mist and a squirt of cherry. I could have made that myself!
It seems that the only place to truly find the crushed ice we’ve all come to love and enjoy is at your local Taco Time. Taco Time, along with Arctic Circle, is one of those restaurants that bewilders me. I really don’t know what they’re going for. Since the fresh Mex craze, it seemed like they geared themselves more toward the “Fresh” factor, different from their competitors with the Spanish speaking Chiwawa. Their commercials feature a fair-skinned Latina eating nachos by the pool, or burritos on the beach. They seem very low budget and cheesy (Not in the nacho way). However, when you walk into one of their locations, it feels just like a Taco Bell. No fresh Mex here! However, I will agree that Taco Time’s food does taste better than that which comes from “South of the Border.”
Where was I, oh yes, Arctic Circle. Arctic Circle seems to resurrect itself about every 5 years. I remember as a kid going to the Arctic Circle in Centerville and sitting on the horse saddles to eat my meal (I know, kind of strange for a 12 year old). What did horse saddles have to do with Arctic Circle anyway? Shouldn’t we be sitting on dog sleds if they’re going for a theme here? I always thought that they should make all of the tables have either the bouncy horsey seats that they used to have (kind of hard to eat French fries on these… I’d miss my mouth a lot and get ketchup all over), or the saddles. The reason I thought this was because, as a kid, when we’d go to arctic circle and there would already be a family sitting at the table with the novelty chairs, I was always disappointed. I also think it’d be funny to see all the adults who take their kids there sitting on saddles and eating their $2 kids meals.
I was pleasantly surprised when I re-entered what was the Arctic Circle in Centerville when it was a Mexican Restaurant (Alberto’s or Roberto’s, or one of those), and the saddle chairs were still there. Kate and I went to that same location about a month ago. It is now a Gandolfo’s … no more saddle chairs. We did not like Gandolfo’s. Ordering something there is like trying to order something off of the periodic table, there are about a million choices and I don’t know what any of them are (ie. Godfather, Knickerbocker, and Whitestone Bridge). Just give me a Turkey Sandwich!
There is now an Arctic Circle just blocks from where we live. As previously mentioned, it’s not the same. The food is a little more, the ice a little more cubed, and the atmosphere a lot more like McDonalds’. No more Wasmo watches. No more dipped Kiddie cones. Arctic Circle, I want to treat myself, after all, I do deserve it.. But do you? Where is the good stuff?
4 comments:
You might be a little too young to remember this, but Arctic Circle had this horrible commercial when I grew up that was on ALL THE TIME. They used the He-Man castle as a prop and inside the castle there was a witch that would stir a big pot. Not sure what that had to do with hamburgers, but the same goes with the saddles.
If you want the old Arctic Circle experience, head on over to the Centerville DQ. I think they even have the saddles and crushed ice!
Agreed, DQ does provide a quality eating experience. I do remember old Halloween commercials with a really bad witch costume for Arctic Circle, but not the He-man castle specifically.
Crushed ice at Bajio, Sonic, DQ, Taco time, and the Salt Lake Sam's Club.
Crushed ice is the bomb.
The free dipped kiddie cones are still going strong at the Centerville Artic Circle!! We go there all of the time with Luke- I personally still love that place....but it is pretty pricey!
Post a Comment