Friday, August 8, 2008

Oxymoron of the Day

My brother Jacob asked me in July if I would like to participate in the Centerville City 5K Fun Run. “FUN RUN” is a contradictory word phrase, like “Act Naturally,” “Express Bus,” and “Hopelessly Optimistic.” An Oxymoron if you will (oxy=sharp, moron=dull). If I want to have fun, I’ll tell you one thing I will not be doing… running. It’s just another example of the contagiously enthusiastic trying to put a positive spin on things, much like Richard Simmon’s “Dancing to the 80’s.”

If I ever WANTED to run, it would not be for fun. I have two brothers that are heavy into the sport of running, one of which is training for a marathon. If I asked them if they ever “run for fun,” I don’t believe the answer would be yes. I believe their response would be that they are running to stay fit, or to accomplish something they never thought they can do.

So, the main reasons I did not run the 3 point whatever miles with my brother that July 4th was 1) My hatred for running, and 2) My fear of embarrassing myself by finishing the race in roughly 3 hours.

However, I know I need to start working out again. I shall resolve now to start training for next year’s 5K “Not So Fun Run,” but I do not resolve to have fun while doing it.

thinking...

Curse you Jacob and your infernal contagious enthusiasm! Curse You!!

4 comments:

Cheeseboy said...

Jordan, for one, this is a great post.

For two, I do not think that running is "fun". However, I don't know what I would do without it now. Not only does it keep me in shape, but it completely burns off "stress calories". Additionally, when I am running, I am completely zoned out. I am not thinking about anything in particular. My mind is completely numb from anything. It is strange, but I find that I completely crave this feeling now.

No, it is not fun, but I could not do without it now.

Charis said...

dude, I don't know what I did, but I think i erased your email so you can't view my blog, but I don't know how i did, or how to fix it. so I hope you can still see it, if not.... well let me know... i will try and fix it... yikes, sorry I didn't mean to.

The Yospe's said...

charis, you're going to need to add me again... jyospe@yahoo.com

Megan said...

Amen Jordan. Amen. The last time I ran was for a bus on my mission. I missed the bus.