
I’ve noticed in recent months a sharp decline in both the number of people visiting my blog, and the number of my friends blogs that I actually read and/or visit. I also have noticed a decreas in the regularity of posting new blog messages by both me, and family and friends. Sure, there will be the occasional binge of pictures dumped onto a blog, but not the regularity of life updates and humorous commentary that there once was. Why is this? I do have one brother that tries to post every day, and, likewise I try and visit on a daily or bi-daily basis to see if there is any entertainment value. Often times there is, and he has a following of a good number of loyal readers that enjoy his witty banter. However, even with his blog, I’ve noticed that the number of people commenting on his randomness has decreased. Is this due to the holidays? Is it due to people having less time on their hands? Are people no longer reading the messages? Are people just blog surfing their friends and families blogs for noteworthy actionable news now-a-days, no longer enjoying the insight into ones inner thoughts and humorous satires?
As for me, I know I’ve grown tired of the same blog entry from numerous bloggers. This is in no way an attack on their blogging capabilities, or their ability to share family moments with a distant relative living miles away. Posting a Family Christmas Card, a lesser known recipe, or the days happenings for many to see are precisely why they love blogging. It is for them a way to journal their lives, while oftentimes sharing these moments with those they love the most. However, in my mind it is to the demise of the blog. I realize that many are not looking for “Fans,” or people to visit regularly for the latest and greatest commentary on why Barrack Obama is or is not great, or their opinion on Café Rio Quesadilla’s (which are quite good). Many simply blog to do what I previously mentioned, to chronicle their life and share it with others. To those individuals I say, I am happy for you and appreciate your blogging intentions. However, if this is the case, why do you publicize your blog for the world to find and read?
To the others, searching out the “Fans.” Trying to maximize their Google AdSense Pennies. Why is blogging a dying sport? One argument is that, without a compelling argument and/or original commentary and ingenuity in style, why should one read your blog. I’m not one to tout mine as a “Model Blog,” as that would be wide stretch of the imagination. I’ve been caught posting a lame video, or using my blog as a sounding board to send a message to lame BYU fans (In no way original or compelling, but still fulfilling). And, this is most likely why readership has fallen off. My blog is just like so many thousand others out there, and SO IS YOURS! So, for 2008, for those “fans” out there (as you know, we will be going private very shortly), I pledge original and entertaining content on a somewhat regular basis, though not too regular as I’ll exhaust my own capabilities. I compel you to do the same (If it behooves you. If you don’t care, that’s fine too.)
Another Gentle Reminder, We Are Going Private, So If You Have Not Yet, Leave Your Email Address, or Email Me at jyospe@yahoo.com
6 comments:
I can't remember if we left our email address yet... so add us please: Tim and Brandi Ricks - brandi.hoggan@gmail.com
laziness. that's it. after reading everyone else's exhausting blogs i'm too worn out to post my own. not that its overly interesting, which probably falls in the aforementioned category. we'll hold you to the regular postings...
Interesting insights Jordan. Could be a variety of things, but I think the "new" and "funness" factor is wearing off for many of the bloggers - much like very few women are scrapbooking anymore or stamping - they have gotten bored with it and it has kind of run it's course.
However, blogs have been around a long time and I think they will exist forever. There is no doubt that their popularity will decrease and there will be fewer and fewer bloggers. I do think that if you have interesting things to say or say things in an interesting fasion, as you often do, people will read your blog.
Another thing - Even though less people have been commenting on my blog, I have actually noticed an increase in the number of visitors, strangely enough. Perhaps people are just tired of commenting? I comment a lot on other blogs, not only to make people feel important, but so they will want to check my blog. "Who is this Cheeseboy that made that witty comment? I need to see his blog!" At least that is what I am hoping.
One thing I have learned is that if you post about sports, only about 40% of your usual readers will actually read the post. There are a lot of nonsports fans out there that could care less.
I like your posts! I read every one. I look forward to your posting more.
People have been saying that blogs are a fad for years, yet they continue to increase in popularity.
I did read a statistic in a newspaper article awhile back that something like 70% of people who start blogs quit posting within a year, which may be accurate. Mostly laziness I guess.
Blogging is here to stay. Even if they grow increasingly more boring, they're not going anywhere.
Everyone has different reasons for blogging. I learned the hard way not to tell other people how or what to blog. So if you can learn from the mistakes of your big brother, just keep blogging advice to yourself.
I think it's just having a lull. I know I added too many people to the ones I follow and now I'm feeling overwhelmed by too many to read. I think you should go private now.
Jordan, I appreciate the invite to your blog even though I didn't make it over here in time to make the cut. Whew!
I've been reading less often, because I'm posting less often. I was overwhelmed by the holiday festivities and didn't make time to blog. I only read blogs when I jump from mine. So there you have it.
I'll still be dropping into the Yospe's blogs- I LOVE THEM. You have a fun witty family. I'm a fan.
Post a Comment