
I know, I know. How clique to write a post on "The Office" the week before the brand new episode. That's right, after a long wait, "The Office" is back! And we are excited! Thursday, 9/8 Central (8pm for us Utahns')! Why is this show so appealing to so many? I'm among the few who have been a fan since episode one. In fact, from the very beginning, episode 1, I've been attending "Office" Parties on Thursdays at my friend Collin's house. So why has this show picked up such momentum and become so universally appealing. Apart from the geniusly crafted punch lines and quirky characters we've all come to love, I believe it's because we can all relate. Don't we all live "The Office" everyday?
I know among a few, this show holds little entertainment value. My brother-in-law Josh is among those. I believe that this is, in part, because he does not work in an office place. For those of you who don't know what I do, I am a media planner for a local ad agency that has many national schools as clients. Well, indeed, many of those I work with are "normal" in a layman's definition of the word. But, believe me, we have our Dwights' and Angelas', our Creed's and our Michaels', our Phillis' and our Stanleys'. A few come to mind, as I'm sure a few do for all of those reading this who work the 9 to 5 grind. In my past job selling radio advertising, I recall a coworker who had chronic plummer's crack. His shirts too short, his pants to low. One day, I noticed he had cut out a face on a family photo on his desk. I asked him about it and he said, "That was my sister's husband. We're looking for a replacement." Who does that?
So, here's to "The Office!" May we all rejoice in Office goodness. In the words of Michael Scott, "It's simply beyond words. It's incalculable."
5 comments:
Congrats on being there from "the beginning". I guess my definition is different than yours. I was a HUGE fan of the BBC with Tim and Dawn, David and Gareth. I think I watched the whole first season holding my breath waiting for "our" version to really screw up the original that "we've" done to so many BBC remakes. Once the writers got brave enough to venture into their own story lines, it got a lot easier to appreciate it on its own terms. Last night's show reminded me of one of my favorite lines. "Endless paper in a paperless world."
cuz
Agreed. I think this is where the initial interest began. Though, I had only seen a couple episodes of the British Office before the american version began.
I like your post about the office. I could never work in an office, but I do miss all the different characters you run into. There was a woman at my old office that put up 3 umbrellas over her desk to keep the air conditioning off of her. She was an Angela type.
Love the joke. And the show. We work in radio advertising too, but we haven't been blessed with the unveiled crack issue in our office. But never say never. Strategic Media isn't that kind of place, thankfully. Maybe it's because Direct Response Radio is our specialty. It's a different breed.
I could delete the previous post due to their trying to advertise their business on my personal blog. But, I find it ironic that they didn't get the "inside joke" of the post title itself.
Post a Comment