Friday, January 9, 2009

Dumb Local News Investigations


We are all familiar with our local Phil Gephardt. Every station in Salt Lake City has a similar type reporter aiming to "bring down the bad guys" and provide justice for the average citizen who has been bamboozled. But, as of late, I have been less than impressed with our news friends ability to do just that, provide anything that could be considered news.

The other night Kate and I were watching the Channel 4 News (Don't ask me why, we never watch that channel, though we do watch their news occasionally to catch a glipse at how crazy their weather woman's hair might look that night). They have an Asian reporter that is their version of Dr. Phil Gephardt. She hits the streets and helps folks like you and me bring down the big guys. Well, a small Utah chemical company had called her about an error on their bill. They were being charged something like $70,000, when it should have been more like a $1,000 bill. So, what did she do? She called them. And they said, "We have multiple parties dealing with this and trying to work through it." And... THAT WAS IT. That was the end of the story. Some Justice?!

Last night, Phil Gephardt was trying to help a man who'd signed up for some stupid credit monitoring thing and then cancelled, but was billed another 4 times for a total of $50. REALLY! You're going to get Gephardt over $50! Well, aparently Gephardt has some personal vendetta against Debit Cards, and used the story as a personal tiatribe on how none of us should use Debit Cards because once the money is gone, it's gone. Ugh. Gephardt, I have been more than annoyed about your recent diatribes. Though I do agree that there is a time to put it on plastic and a different time to put it on the other plastic, why should any stock in your opinion when you are telling me to shred my debit cards? Don't you realize how dangerous CREDIT Cards are? They're what have helped get our country and our economy where it is today. A mentality of "Spend Now- Pay Later." "I'll get a large house, because in 5 years I can afford it." No YOU CAN'T! It's always better to pay cash where you can.

Anyway, that's my rant for the day. I think these "Investigative Reporters" just need to go away.

No comments: